Wednesday 9 January 2013

Reasoning and Rambling

I am not a disciplined person. I am not the sort of person that could ever go on the Dukan diet and deal with the regimented daily life that it entails. I have a social life. I half-heartedly started a few times calorie-counting and fitness regimes and did fine, but the first bump in the road (a week off sick or Christmas break) I put all the weight I had lost back on and, as I get near to my 30th, a few extra kilos as well. 

It was then that I found about this new idea, the 5:2 diet. It is a form of Intermittent Fasting featured in the BBC programme "Eat, Fast and Live Longer" and it caught my attention for all the good reasons. Preliminary studies found that people on it not only lose weight, but they also get healthier. Downside is, they are preliminary studies. However, I am sold and I have decided to follow through with it the whole of 2013 and see what happens. After all, a diet that you only have to follow through 2 days out of 5 can definitely fit in my social diary and won't disrupt every single meal I have with my poor boyfriend. 

I guess if you stumbled upon this blog, chances are you already know what the 5:2 diet is, so I won't repeat here what is already out there. I did a fair bit of research on this and the thing that struck me the most was that there didn't seem to be a hell lot of recipes and meal suggestions that I could find, apart for the occasional blog post or a magazine article. This way, I decided to create this space and post every meal I have while on the "fast days".

Since I didn't have this idea before, I have not taken pictures of the meals I had on the first day, which happened on Monday, the 7th of January. I should have also done blood tests before I started, to compare the results later, but I'll get around to do that. For now, let's start with my weight.

I am overweight. I have never been exactly thin, but I have never been this heavy either.  Aside the fact that I fell sluggish and don't fit in basically 80% of my clothes, I am at risk of developing all sorts of nasty stuff and I really can't have that.

So, time to do something about it! Apart from the 5:2 diet, I am also training for a Sprint Triathlon this July and will be seeing a Personal Trainer once a week, so the weight loss recorded in here will be affected by that. I will also try and not take more that 2000 calories on my "feed days" and stay within the recommended levels of protein and alcohol intake. 

I am not a disciplined person. But I am quite stubborn. And I will do this.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there, came across the link to your blog on My Fitness Pal and have been reading through your recipes. I am in the USA and just heard of this diet for the first time this morning on the morning news. I must say I'm very intrigued and am seriously considering starting this next week. I look forward to keeping up with your progress and updates. Maybe I will start blogging about my experience also. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete